How do I put on my KAFO?
- Apply a long sock to protect the skin and provide cushion.
- While sitting, position the thigh and leg inside of the KAFO.
- Slide the foot into the brace and make sure the heel is all the way back and the foot is fully seated in the brace.
- Fasten the straps in the instep and the shin strap. Make sure they are snug.
- Fasten the straps in the thigh. Make sure they are snug.
- Slide the foot into shoe. Use a shoehorn if necessary to prevent breakdown in the back of the shoe.
- Fasten your shoes, make sure the laces are snug.
What is the wear schedule for my KAFO?
Just like a new pair of shoes, a KAFO also has a breaking in period.
- Day 1: Wear the brace for 1 hour
- Day 2: Wear the brace for 2 hours
- Day 3. Wear the brace for 4 hours
- Day 4: Wear the brace for 8 hours
Continue this wear schedule until you reach full day use.
If your KAFO is causing any redness on the skin and it does not disappear within 20 minutes, please contact your orthotist to schedule an adjustment.
Please remember to always wear your shoe with your KAFO for proper support.
How do I clean my KAFO?
- Spray rubbing alcohol on inside and outside of your AFO and wipe it down with a cloth to remove any oils or residue.
- It is important to clean any foam padding about once a week to prevent build-up.
- Always check the integrity of the Velcro straps and check for build-ups
- Do not submerge in water, it could cause the joints to rust and cause them to break
What are some precautions I should take with me KAFO?
- Never wear your KAFO without shoes
- Always wear socks, make sure there are no wrinkles in the socks.
- Make sure to follow the initial wear schedule
- Do not sleep in the KAFO
- Be aware that volume changes can affect the fit of the KAFO