How do I put on my SMO?
- Place socks on feet, make sure there are no wrinkles in the socks.
- Slide the foot into the brace and make sure the heel reaches the back of the brace and the foot is fully seated in the brace.
- Fasten the Velcro strap around the instep and make sure it is snug.
- Slide the foot with the SMO into the shoe. Use a shoehorn to prevent breakdown in the back of the shoe.
- Fasten shoes, make sure the laces are snug.
What is the wear schedule for my SMO?
Just like a new pair of shoes, a SMO also has a breaking in period.
- Day 1: Wear the brace for 1 hour
- Day 2: Wear the brace for 2 hours
- Day 3. Wear the brace for 4 hours
- Day 4: Wear the brace for 8 hours
Continue this wear schedule until you reach full day use.
If your SMO is causing any redness on the skin and it does not disappear within 20 minutes, please contact your orthotist to schedule an adjustment.
Please remember to always wear your shoe with your SMO for proper support.
How do I clean my SMO?
- Spray rubbing alcohol on inside and outside of your SMO and wipe it down with a cloth to remove any oils or residue.
- It is important to clean any foam padding about once a week to prevent build-up.
- Always check the integrity of the Velcro straps and check for build-ups
What are some precautions with SMOs?
- Never wear your SMO without shoes.
- If you go up a shoe size, the SMOs may be too small.
- Always follow the initial wear schedule
- Never sleep in SMOs